Exit site Click here, or press the ‘esc’ key to exit this site quickly

National Helpline for LGBT+ Victims and Survivors of Abuse and Violence0800 999 5428

Email help@galop.org.uk

Understanding Anti-LGBT+ Hate Crime

This is a guide for LGBT+ people who have experienced anti-LGBT+ hate.

It includes information on a wide range of topics relating to hate crime, including your rights, sources of support, and the criminal justice system.

We created this guide to help LGBT+ victims answer the following questions:

  • What is hate crime?
  • Where can I get help?
  • What can I expect if I report?
  • What are my rights?

What is anti-LGBT+ hate crime?

Anti-LGBT+ hate crime is a name for homophobic, transphobic, biphobic, acephobic or interphobic abuse, violence and intimidation. If you have been threatened, harassed or attacked because you are LGBT+, you have experienced a hate crime. You can report it to the police and to Galop. This applies even if you are not LGBT+, but the person abusing you believes that you are.

Who faces hate crime?

Hate crimes target people because of who they are. That includes people targeting you for being lesbian, gay, bisexual, pansexual, trans, queer, non-binary, intersex or ace. It also includes abuse based on someone’s race, faith or disability.

Don’t accept it

No one has the right to abuse you for who you are. You have a right to be respected and to express yourself free from abuse. If you do face homophobic, biphobic, transphobic, acephobic or interphobic abuse, you have a right to expect authorities and support organisations to be on your side

Any abusive behaviour that expresses anti-LGBT+ prejudice can be a hate crime. This can include:

  • Verbal abuse, such as calling someone anti-LGBT+ names
  • Acting in a threatening or intimidating way
  • Physical attacks
  • Stealing or damaging your belongings
  • Sending abusive or offensive messages
  • Sexually threatening or violent behaviour
  • Encouraging others to target LGBT+ people

Get help

It is your decision whether to tell someone what happened. You can talk to an independent charity like Galop for advice, support or to discuss your options. They may also be able to help you communicate with the police or pass on information anonymously on your behalf if you choose. You can also talk to the police by calling police non-emergency number 101. If you need immediate police help, call 999.